Thomas J. Budge
Mr. Budge specializes in real estate, business, and water law, representing cities, corporations, banks, developers, and landowners throughout Southern Idaho in a wide range of transactions, administrative proceedings, litigation, and appeals. He has worked for some of Idaho's largest real estate developments, was intimately involved with the Snake River Basin Adjudication, and has advised clients in connection with more than $100 million in real estate transactions. His experience includes land use, planning and zoning, agriculture, water rights, the Clean Water Act, easements, road disputes, boundary disputes, eminent domain, mining, and energy.
T.J. approaches legal challenges with the goal of identifying solutions that can be implemented quickly and cost-effectively. He has argued cases before the Idaho Supreme Court, Idaho Department of Water Resources, Idaho Department of Lands, United States Environmental Protection Agency, and local government boards throughout eastern Idaho. The legal, historical, and practical insights gained from these experiences enable T.J. to provide clear and cost-effective solutions to the most difficult legal challenges that face our clients.
Professional Memberships and Activities
Mr. Budge is licensed to practice law in both Idaho and Utah. He is the current President of the Portneuf Inn of Court, a past Board member of the Water Law Section of the Idaho State Bar, and a current member of the Real Estate Section and the Water Law Section of the Idaho State Bar. His article A Fluid Transaction: Buying and Selling Water Rights was published in The Advocate, the official publication of the Idaho State Bar.
Mr. Budge has been awarded the highest AV Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell, maintains a 10.0 rating with AVVO, was named the 2010 CASA Attorney of the Year, and has been a finalist for the Idaho Business Review Overachievers Under 40 (2015), Professional of the Year (2016), and Business & Achievement (2017) awards.
- B.S., Idaho State University, 2003
- J.D., University of Idaho, 2006
- Citizens Law Academy - Understanding Land Descriptions
- Citizens Law Academy - Water Rights 101
- Groundwater Hydrology, Law & Mitigation Seminar - Mitigation Plans Past & Present
- Henry's Fork Watershed Council - Water Court Pros & Cons
- Idaho Water Users Association - The Supreme Court Speaks: Conjunctive Management Update
- Idaho Water Users Association - Water Pros & Cons
- Law Seminars International - Mitigation in Practice: Challenges and Strategies
- Law Seminars International - Water Issues on Land
- National Business Institute - Special Considerations in Farm & Ranch Transactions
- Portneuf Inn of Court - Eminent domain practice and procedure
- Portneuf Inn of Court - Understanding Legal Descriptions
- Sixth and Seventh Judicial District Law Clerk and Staff Attorney Training Seminar - Water Rights and Irrigation Easements
B.S., Idaho State University, 2003
J.D., University of Idaho, 2006
Idaho State Bar
Utah State Bar
- Avvo – 10.0
- Martindale-Hubbel – AV Preeminent
- “Overachievers Under 40” (2015) – Southeast Idaho Business Review
- Southeast Idaho Business Review Professional of the Year Nominee (2016)
- Business and Achievement Award Nominee (2017) - Southeast Idaho Business Review
- Professional of the Year Nominee (2016) - Southeast Idaho Business Review