What to do if you are injured at work?


By Fred J. Lewis

If you are involved in a work related accident, the first thing that you should do is report the injury or disease immediately to your employer. Do not wait! You might not get better and late reported claims are often denied! Memories fade quickly. Protect yourself and report your claim promptly. Time is of the essence in workers compensation cases. Failure to report your injury to your employ within 60 days could disqualify you for benefits. You only have 60 days.

Be specific with your employer, report how the injury happened, where it happened, and when it happened. Your employer should fill out a “First Report of Injury or Illness” form, and then file it with the Idaho Industrial Commission. If for some reasons your employer refuses to file this, go ahead and file the form yourself.  To obtain on of these forms go to the Idaho Industrial Commission website and print one off there or call the Industrial Commission to get one. There is a link to this form under their “Reporting Injuries” section. If it seems too hard or confusing: contact an experienced Idaho worker’s compensation attorney. I will help you fill out the accident report and get it filled out and filed.


Contact Information