COVID-19 Update: How We Are Serving and Protecting Our Clients

I’m not receiving child support, what should I do?

By Heidi Buck Morrison

If you are not receiving child support, the first step is getting a child support order in place. This will involve filing a court case to have child support established. In Idaho, child support is calculated based on the Idaho State Child Support Guidelines, a statutory formula, which takes into account a number of factors, including time spent with the child, income of the mother and father, which parent insures the child and the cost of such insurance, and which parent claims the child on his/her taxes. I.R.F.L.P. 126.

If you need assistance getting a child support order in place, the attorneys at Racine Olson can assist you today.

If a child support order is in place, yet you are not receiving child support, there are a number of steps you can take to try and collect the child support owed. For a fee, through the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare Child Support Services, you can open an enforcement action to pursue the enforcement remedies available. Among other remedies, Child Support Services may suspend a delinquent parent’s driver’s license, recreational license, or occupational license who owes more than $2,000.00 or the equivalent of three months of child support. Child Support Services can also file liens with the Idaho Secretary of State so that when property owned by a delinquent parent is sold, the profits from the sale of the property can be intercepted to pay back child support. They may also intercept state retirement funds paid to the delinquent parent and intercept lottery winnings of $500 or more to pay back child support. To learn more, visit

In addition to the help Child Support Services can offer, an attorney can assist you in obtaining a judgment against the delinquent parent, garnishing the delinquent parent’s wages to collect owed child support, or pursuing a contempt action.

If you need assistance establishing a child support order or collecting child support owed to you, contact Heidi Buck Morrison today for a consultation. Toll free at 877-232-6101 or 208-232-6101. You can also email Heidi Buck Morrison directly at Our attorneys serve all of Idaho, including Firth, Malad, Montpelier, Preston, Soda Springs, American Falls, Blackfoot, Pocatello, Idaho Falls, Rigby, Twin Falls, Rupert, Burley, and Boise.

This website includes general information about legal issues and developments in the law. Such materials are for informational purposes only and may not reflect the most current legal developments. These informational materials are not intended, and must not be taken, as legal advice on any particular set of facts or circumstances. You need to contact a lawyer for advice on specific legal issues.

Posted in:
Published on:

Comments are closed.

Contact Information