Since graduating magna cum laude from Georgetown Law School in Washington D.C., Dr. Hearn has often been required to draw upon his training as a physician to help his clients. Whether representing individuals, health care providers, or corporations, Dr. Hearn has used his 20 plus years experience practicing medicine to benefit his clients. He obtained a personal injury judgment in excess of 5.4 million dollars in 2009 which is still one of the largest personal injury judgments in Idaho. Dr. Hearn earned membership in the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum based upon recoveries achieved for several Idaho residents. He has successfully prosecuted personal injury, wrongful death, medical malpractice, wrongful termination, class action and products liability cases in both federal and state courts. Dr. Hearn has also defended health care providers and corporations prosecuted criminally. Since coming to Idaho in 1996, Dr. Hearn has fought to protect the Constitutional rights of Idaho residents in several important civil rights cases.
Verdicts & Settlements
2. Wrongful Death: Obtained six figure settlement for mother of teen age son killed in automobile accident in North Dakota in wrongful death action against driver.
3. Civil Rights: Represented Idaho father who was denied custody of children, allegedly based upon his sexual orientation, before the Idaho Supreme Court in a case in which the Court ruled that "Sexual orientation, in and of itself, cannot be the basis for awarding or removing custody; only when the parent's sexual orientation is shown to cause harm to the child such that the child's best interests are not served, should sexual orientation be a factor in determining custody."
4. Insurance Bad Faith: Obtained six figure settlement for young women denied rehabilitation benefits by her health insurer after severe spinal cord injury in North Idaho.
5. Wrongful Death: Obtained six figure settlement for Idaho mother of child killed while at day care center by staff member in wrongful death action against the day care center.
6. Personal Injury: Obtained six figure settlement for elderly Idaho woman who was allegedly sexually assaulted by a staff member in a nursing home in personal injury suit against nursing home.
7. Civil Rights: Obtained six figure settlement for father of three young children in suit against an Idaho school district that released his children without permission to their estranged mother who then illegally removed the children from Idaho.
8. Civil Rights: Obtained six figure settlement for female firefighter in federal sexual harassment case in Idaho against fire department.
9. Criminal Defense: Successfully defended and obtained acquittal at trial for Idaho woman charged by the Idaho Attorney General's Office with Medicaid fraud.
10. Product Liability: Obtained six figure settlement for Idaho worker against the manufacturer of press which malfunctioned and injured client at work.
11. Civil Rights and Criminal Defense: Successfully defended woman prosecuted criminally under Idaho's abortion laws for having an "illegal' abortion by having those Idaho laws declared unconstitutional by a federal court.
12. Civil Rights and Personal Injury: Obtained judgment of over 5.7 million dollars for Idaho woman and her son born in prison against prison health care provider for violating her Constitutional right to health care while in prison.
13. Personal Injury: Obtained multimillion dollar settlement of medical malpractice case for Idaho man against Washington providers who failed to diagnose his cancer.
14. Civil Rights: Obtained injunction in federal court for group of land owners blocking a utility from condemning their land to erect power lines.
15. Securities Litigation: Obtained six figure arbitration award for Idaho man for losses he incurred while investing with Merrill Lynch.
16. Personal Injury: Obtained 5 figure settlement for police officer injured in auto accident.